I am now a naturopath however my nursing background provides makes me interested in this virus and to ensure my knowledge remains as current as possible I have just completed the Government online training for health professionals on Covid 19. I thought I would share with you the recommended ways to prevent yourself and others from contracting this virus. Ultimately it is very simple:
- Prevent droplet infection by using a tissue to cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, or cough into your bent elbow (good respiratory hygiene).
- Wash your hands frequently or use sanitizer. You should do this after coughing, sneezing, going to the toilet, before eating after touching the door or rails or surfaces.
- Avoid large public gatherings.
- Maintain social distancing or 1.5 meters between others.
- Stay at home if you are unwell and whilst at home practice good respiratory hygiene and continue to wash your hands.
- Wipe surfaces at home or at work regularly.
- When visiting hospitals or nursing homes always wash/sanitize hands when arriving and leaving.
- Masks should only be worn by those who have the virus. There is a shortage of masks they are not recommended for general use and provide no protection. As we touch our face frequently your best protection is hand washing.
There is no cure for Covid 19, there is no vaccine currently your best defense is practicing the above good standards.
However, if you are wanting to improve your health you can do some things that may help you to improve your immune system and this will generally help your body to be in better shape if you do become unwell with any virus or infection.
7 Ways to Increase your immune health
- Eat a good diet of quality meat, fish, eggs, fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy (if not intolerant), whole grains, and seeds.
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid sugar and refined carbs (refined cereals, white bread, biscuits, cakes, and lollies)
- Exercise regularly and spend time outdoors every day.
- Ensure you have had plenty of vitamin C either through vitamin C rich foods or if the diet is deficient via vitamin C supplements
- Have plenty of vitamin D3 containing foods and spend time in sunlight or speak with your natural health professional regarding Vitamin D3 supplementation.
- Ensure plenty of Zinc-rich foods or consider consulting with a natural health professional to have your zinc levels checked and discuss supplementation.
If you are in a high-risk group this is more important than ever to help ensure your health is optimum. There are not treatments, there are no cures for Covid 19 virus at this time however you can try to make sure your body is in the best of health. It is common sense that the healthier we are the more likely we are to recover from an illness.
If you become well you should contact the government Covid 19 Helpline.
Verdure Naturopathy offers services online you can book an appointment at www.verdurenaturopathy.com.au I also offer acute 15-minute consultations for advice and herbal and nutritional prescriptions these appointments are really helpful to people who have the flu, coughs, and colds, viral infections, and skin conditions also you can contact me on 0408356044 for support.